Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Chicken Garlic Pizza....a new{ish} recipe

Before Cooper was born, I had really figured out how to meal plan and grocery shop according to that meal plan.  I would do it weekly and make my grocery run on Mondays.  It had become a routine for Braden and I, and it was working out great.  We were doing much better on our finances since I was only buying items needed to make the meals.  Well, Cooper came and it all went out the window!  Finally, 6 months later, I'm getting back into the meal planning groove.  It doesn't always work out like I plan it but I'm at least starting to get a little more organized!

As I was planning our meals for the week on Sunday, I came across a recipe that my boss at my previous job gave me a long, long time ago.  It was Chicken Garlic Pizza.  I remember making it a couple of times and really liking it.  We are huge pizza lovers in my house and usually have it once a week.  This is not helping me lose those pesky last 10 pounds of baby weight!  So when I saw it, I decided we would try it again.  It seemed way more healthy than Little Caesar's!  It was delicious!  I really loved it, just how I remembered, and didn't feel quite so guilty after eating. 

So I thought I would share the recipe:

Chicken Garlic Pizza


3 Boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1/2 cup sliced green onions (use slender white parts)
2 cloves garlic
2 Tbsp white vinegar
2 Tbsp soy sauce
1 Tbsp olive oil
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper (more or less depending on how spicy you want it)
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 Tbsp cornstarch
1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
1/2 shredded Mozzarella cheese
Boboli pizza shell - I used the 100% whole wheat thin shell

Cut raw chicken into cubes.  Combine onion, garlic, vinegar, soy sauce, oil, and both peppers.  Mix together and add chicken.  Marinate for about 10-15 minutes.  Take chicken out and save marinade.  Cook chicken in a second tablespoon of oil for about 3 minutes.  Add the cornstarch to the marinade and pour into the pan with the chicken.  Allow the sauce to thicken (about 1-2 minutes).  Spoon marinade and chicken on shell.  Put both cheeses on top.  Bake at 400 degrees for 12 minutes, with the shell directly on the rack to make it crispy.  Sprinkly additional sliced green onions on top of pizza and back for another 2 minutes.  Let it set for about 5 minutes before slicing.  Makes 6-8 slices.

DELICIOUS!!


For all you Weight Watchers peeps out there, I used their recipe builder to find out how many points each slice is and it came up with 7 per slice if you cut 8 slices.  So maybe not as healthy as I thought.  Bummer.  But still yummy!

Let me know if you try it and what you think!


3 comments:

  1. Mmmm i am going to add this to my next week menu!! You can make whole wheat crust from scratch real easy and I bet its healthier!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy! Sounds good!! I have never made homemade pizza but it seems easy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! I am going to have to try this next week also! I've never done pizza crust in my bread machine but it might be a good time to try! Thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete